26 September, 2010

I'm a "meat" kinda guy...

Yes indeedy, I am!  I may be married to a vegetarian who hasn't tasted any meat in more than 40 years, but I like meat.  I love steak, chicken, pork, bacon, sausage--I like it all!  So today we're going to do flank steak with peppers and onions.
Flank steak from Bolton's Farm Market


This steak was HUGE!  I bought it on Tuesday when I stopped into Bolton's to get some chicken.  They had been so busy that they were out of chickens and weren't able to "harvest" any because they weren't big enough yet--so I went to the freezer and found this!  It was $5.99/lb.  I seasoned it with salt and pepper and little Worcestershire sauce.  Then I used a grill pan on the stovetop to cook it, about 8 minutes on each side.  It was pretty thick so it took a little longer than your typical flank steak! 

For the peppers and onions, I actually used the leftover red, yellow, and green peppers left over from the "Garbanzo Bean Salad" I made for my first post.

.
I threw these into the grill pan after the steak was done.  I cooked
them until they were soft and a little carmelized.

That's it!  Not a lot of work to it--the whole "marinating" process is really no work for the human involved.  Marination is the process of soaking foods in a seasoned, often acidic, liquid before cooking.
So someone has to explain to me how marinating is a lot of work!

I have to say, flank steak is not a premium cut of meat, but what this proves to me is that buying locally produced beef gets you better quality at an extremely reasonable price!

1 comment:

  1. Ger Bear, you must be getting hungry by now!

    DP

    ReplyDelete